I’ve been using 100% pure Argan Oil as a face and body moisturizer for awhile now. (So has my husband…. and my dog.)
My favorite is Josie Maran Argan Oil for these reasons:
Our 100% natural, 100% organic, 100% pure Argan Oil is harvested and cold pressed [in Morroco] from the nut of the argan tree. It’s a multi-tasking miracle moisturizer. Vitamin E and essential fatty acids in Argan Oil help hydrate hair, face, body, nails and everything in between. ~Josie Maran
Josie Maran Pure Argan Oil is first cold pressed to ensure the best quality, highest-grade oil. It is housed in a recyclable glass bottle and purchased from women’s cooperatives in Morocco to support their social and economic welfare. These cooperatives work within a UNESCO biosphere reserve that ensures the protection and reforestation of Argan trees. ~Sephora
I’ve purchased a number of sale-priced Josie Maran Argan Oil collections from QVC that I absolutely love!
How We Use Argan Oil At Home
I use Argan Oil every morning and every night as a face and body moisturizer. The best part is it’s not greasy! Argan Oil has improved my skin (and hair) in these ways:
- The bottoms of my feet are no longer rough and dry. (I do still use the Emjoi Micro Pedi Callus Remover occasionally. It’s similar to that Amope Pedi Perfect Electronic Pedicure Foot File.)
- My lips aren’t rough and patchy anymore (like they usually are — year round). I use my electric toothbrush in the shower to slough the rough skin from my lips every few days, and I moisturize my lips with Argan Oil daily. Not to mention the fact that Argan Oil works wonders on chapped lips.
- The skin around my nose and cheek area is no longer dry and flaky. (Nor does my skin become oily, after using this “oil” as a moisturizer twice a day.) The best part: Argan Oil does not clog pores.
- My fingernails and cuticles are soft and healthy now, rather than dry and brittle. My nails are strong, and I’ve been able to eliminate other nail treatment products altogether.
- I’ve noticed that my 2 most notable areas with wrinkles (around the eyes and chest/cleavage area after sleeping) tend to plump right up, making the wrinkles less noticeable after a quick pat with Argan Oil. It’s loaded with antioxidants that help with anti-aging over time.
- Even my eyelashes are softer and longer than before –because I swipe what’s left on my fingertips directly onto my eyelashes each night. (It doesn’t hurt if it comes in contact with your eyes!)
- And it goes without saying that my arms and legs are much more soft and supple day in and day out now.
- My hair benefits from the Argan Oil too — because I sometimes wipe what’s left on my hands directly onto my hair and scalp, much like I used to do with BioSilk Therapy Hair Treatment. It’s great with split ends.
My husband uses Argan Oil in the following ways:
- As a beard oil every other morning. This is virtually eliminated all of the dry, flaky skin that hides out beneath his beard and goatee.
- As a sunburn treatment, on our recent trip to Aruba where he became sunburned after a day-long Jeep ride with the top down. As a result, there was no pain from the sunburn the next day, and it healed very quickly thanks to Argan Oil’s anti-inflammatory properties.
- As a foot treatment once a week. It has greatly improved the dry, flaky skin (similar to Athlete’s Foot) that he has had on the bottoms of his feet for years.
Here’s an interesting video… A Man’s Guide To Argan Oil: 5 Uses.
My dog uses Argan Oil in the following ways:
- Rubbed lightly on the bottom of his paw pads — whenever they are dry and cracked. (For what it’s worth, I try to watch him so he doesn’t lick his paws until they’ve dried — which is a rather quick process. I usually give him a Kong toy with treats inside to distract him for that short time.)
- Spritzed lightly on his coat and rubbed into his skin — as a natural conditioner for his dry skin and fur. (I continue to put olive oil on his food, at the recommendation of our veterinarian years ago.)
For the record, I don’t use very much of the Argan Oil on my dog each time simply because I don’t want him licking it off his paws or fur. Here’s a veterinarian’s advice on what to do if your dog swallows Argan Oil. (Keep in mind, those veterinarians are referring to Argan Oil that is combined with other ingredients — like dog shampoo with Argan Oil in it, not 100% pure cold-pressed Argan Oil.)
NOTE: You may have heard that you can add 1 teaspoon of Argan Oil to your dog’s food each day and it will help to condition their coats from the inside out. But I believe that’s referring to the culinary food-grade version of Argan Oil, not the cosmetic version of Argan Oil — which is the type that my post here is referring to. By the way, they do make a dog Argan Oil that’s 100% pure and cold-pressed that claims to be America’s first and only dog Argan Oil. Before using on your pet, I would heed their advice and “consult a veterinarian before using this product on your four legged friend. Not all dogs are the same!”
What’s The Best Argan Oil To Use On Your Skin?
As mentioned above, there’s a culinary (food-grade) version of Argan Oil and a cosmetic (skin-friendly) version of Argan Oil.
Within the cosmetic version, there are 2 types: raw (100% pure, all-natural, organic) and deodorized (has received a steam or chemical treatment, which strips the oil of its natural nutty scent and health qualities).
For the absolute best Argan Oil to use on your skin, you want to look for the words 100% pure Argan Oil or 100% Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil. These phrases mean that the Argan Oil is all-natural and organic. Argan Oil that is not “100% pure” has been diluted, over-processed, or combined with fillers & chemicals.
Also, cold-pressed is better than expeller (high-heat) pressed because that means it wasn’t heated over a certain temperature during the manufacturing process.
Good To Know…
Unfortunately, the difficult extraction methods used to produce Argan Oil limits its shelf life to 3-6 months. This is also why 100% pure Argan Oil is so expensive to buy.
Fun Uses For Argan Oil
- 10 Argan Oil Benefits For Hair And Skin
- Argan Oil Dosages And Uses
- How To Use Argan Oil For Nails, Hands, And Feet
- 10 Beauty Uses For 100% Pure Argan Oil
- How Argan Oil Benefits Your Health (It’s Not Just For Hair & Skin)
- DIY Beard Oil: The Best Essential Oils To Mix With Argan Oil
- What Happens When You Swap Your Entire Beauty Regime For Just Oil