This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy thru these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Beauty pageants like the Miss America Pageant give young women the opportunity to win money to further their education, while allowing them to show off their talents and their beauty.
Without a doubt, a lot of effort, time, and money are put into these pageants. From the beautiful dresses to the wide range of talent, these young women are not only dedicated and hardworking, but also creative as well.
Never has that been more evident than in the following beauty secrets I’ve gathered from former contestants of the Miss America Pageant and other beauty pageants!
Here are some of the best beauty secrets from the pros…
How’d They Do That?
When watching beauty pageants in the past, I’ve asked myself several times questions like:
“How do they get their teeth so white?”
“I wonder how they get their swimsuits to stay put.”
“What must they pack in their carry-on bags?”
Here’s what I found when researching beauty pageant secrets.
How many of these have you tried?…
Pageant Beauty Secrets
- Duct tape. It’s used to create instant cleavage which helps during the swimsuit and evening gown portions of the competition. (In effect, they’re using duct tape to make their own homemade push up bra!) Another way that duct tape is used is to trim off extra pounds. By taping the duct tape around the waist and stomach, you create the illusion that you’re a little bit thinner.
- Leg squats. Done 5 to 10 minutes before the swimsuit competition, leg squats add definition to the legs… FAST!
- Butt Glue (or Firm Spray). Used by many beauty pageant contestants during the swimsuit competition, it’s applied directly to the rear end in order to prevent swimsuit bottoms from riding up while on stage. (Craft spray is a great alternative to butt spray.)
- Panty liners. These are placed into swimsuit bottoms to prevent camel toe (or frontal wedgies). Another product made specifically for this purpose: Cuchini — as seen here.
- Toupee tape. While it’s typically used to keep dresses and costumes in place, toupee tape can also be used to solve a number of different problems. Double-sided tape is also commonly used to keep tops and straps in place. And the ever-popular fashion tape seems to keep everything in its place.
- Hairspray. There are so many uses for hairspray other than for keeping hair in place. Beauty pageant contestants spray hairspray on their faces — to keep makeup in place. They spray it on their underarms that have been applied with deodorant — to keep the deodorant from getting on clothes. They spray hairspray all over their bodies — to keep from jiggling when they walk.
- Petroleum jelly. Have you ever wondered how contestants keep smiling for so long? Petroleum jelly is the answer! By spreading a light coating across your teeth, it keeps your lips from sticking to your teeth — so you can smile for long periods of time. Petroleum jelly will also keep lipstick from getting on your teeth. Plus, when rubbed directly on your teeth, it makes your teeth shiny!
- Hair extensions. For the best pageant hair, many contestants avoid washing their hair every day (so as to not strip the hair’s natural oils and keep it looking shiny) or they wear hair extensions (which can add more volume and length on stage). Of course, hair coloring and the use of good hair products is also important.
- Spoons. If you have puffiness under your eyes, beauty pageant contestants suggest putting 2 spoons in the refrigerator for a few minutes and then putting them underneath your eyes. (Cucumbers that have been kept in the refrigerator work great for this as well.)
- Makeup. Beauty contestants use dark makeup to add definition to the abdomen or muscle lines on their arms and legs. This creates the illusion of being more toned. (Here’s how to fake tight abs.)
- Nipple covers. These are used to downplay protruding nipples. Some contestants use double-stick tape, others use cotton balls, but there are a number of products on the market to alleviate this problem — in addition to choosing the right clothing fabric and bra styles.
- Hemorrhoid cream. It’s used to firm up jiggly parts, as well as to help get rid of cellulite. It works by temporarily tightening the skin. One Miss America contestant rubbed hemorrhoid creme on her thighs, wrapped them in plastic wrap, and then put on pantyhose before going to bed. (Warning: Don’t try this if your legs have self-tanner on them. It will cause irregular streaking.)
- Chicken cutlets. These are bra enhancers that resemble silicone breast implants. They are inserted into the bra (or swimwear top) to give the illusion of a fuller bust.
- Sunless tanning. While many beauty pageant contestants avoid the sun due to skin cancer risks, sunless tanning methods like spray tanning and self-tanners are used in its place.
- WD-40. Pageant contestants spray WD-40 on their butts before the evening gown competition — to keep their dresses from sticking to their rear ends.
See, beauty pageant contestants are very creative, aren’t they?
Honestly, I can think of a number of times when these tips would actually come in handy outside of the pageant arena though.
For example, if you have a special event coming up (like a wedding, prom, or other formal affair), you might be able to alleviate some personal stress by following a couple of these tips before you leave home.
The same may be true before wearing a swimsuit in public, or if you simply want to look your best at all times — regardless of what you’re wearing or where you’re going.
After all, with these types of beauty secrets, no one would even know!…
More Pageant Beauty Secrets
- 12 Beauty Secrets To Steal From Pageant Queens
- Miss Universe Pageant Beauty Secrets
- 15 Pageant Beauty Secrets From Saran Wrap To Scotch Tape
I’m currently a graduate student. I like volunteering with a variety of organizations in my community, spending time with my nieces, and sharing fun tips about health & beauty issues.