This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy thru these links, we may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I used to go to the local drug store (CVS, Rite Aid, etc.) once a month and spend $100 or more on beauty products such as razor blades, depilatory cremes, hair conditioner, deodorant, lotion, facial cleansers, makeup removers, foot softening creme, eczema treatment, and more.
At the time, I thought these items were necessities, now I know better.
There are some better (and cheaper) options!
While I haven’t figured out a way to avoid the cost of shaving products, and at least a small amount of antiperspirant and makeup, I have cut my bills drastically by adding one item to my grocery list.
The one thing that I have replaced most of my beauty products with is coconut oil!
Coconut Oil Beauty Secrets
I use coconut oil to:
- Condition our very thick and formerly dry hair. We now use a very mild and inexpensive baby shampoo to wash our hair after using coconut oil as a hot oil treatment and daily moisturizer.
- Lotion our bodies. Using coconut oil in place of lotion after a bath can keep your skin soft for several days. You can even put it in your bath water.
- Virtually eliminate dry patches for eczema. Coconut oil has anti-bacterial properties that I believe healed my eczema and my kids’ rough elbows.
- Soften hard feet. Just rub it on after a bath. My feet were ready for sandals in a week.
- Cleanse our faces and remove makeup (massaging face with coconut oil and removing with damp warm washcloth).
- Gentle laxative. Coconut oil mixed into a soft food like oatmeal or a fruit smoothie will help you eliminate easier
For about $20, I purchased enough coconut oil to last a whole month and cut our toiletries bill in half!
I purchased 2 large jars online. One jar was to put one in the kitchen to cook with, and a second to separate into smaller containers and distribute among my family.
There are many other uses for coconut oil — both medicinal and for beauty treatments — that I have not tried out yet, but every use I have detailed here has worked for me.
More Uses For Coconut Oil
- 101 Uses For Coconut Oil
- Virgin Coconut Oil vs Regular Coconut Oil Explained
- 10 Celebrities Who Use Coconut Oil
- Confusion About Coconut Oil
- 10 Uses For Coconut Oil That You Haven’t Tried
- How To Cook With Coconut Oil
- 21 Mom And Baby Friendly Uses For Coconut Oil
- How To Use Coconut Oil In The Kitchen
- 333 Uses For Coconut Oil
- The Truth About Cocconut Oil
- 122 More Uses For Coconut Oil
I have been a certified tightwad since I became pregnant with my first child and decided to find a way to stay home with him. I enjoy sharing my experiences in my journey back to financial health and planning for a future — which will include sending 2 kids to college and early retirement.